The 2023 Championship Committee met this weekend in Portlaoise. With the regatta season fast approaching, the planning for the Irish Championships taking place on July 14th to 16th is well underway.
With the Irish Rowing Championships being our annual event it brings together some of the finest rowers from across the island of Ireland to compete against each other. Our prestigious competition is a highlight of the Irish sporting calendar and is widely regarded as one of the most important events in the country’s rowing calendar. These events will be fiercely contested, with our membership pushing themselves to their physical limits in order to secure victory.
In addition to being a showcase of top-level rowing talent, our Championships also serves as a platform for up-and-coming rowers to showcase their skills and compete against some of the best in Rowing Ireland. As we know many past champions of the event have gone on to represent Ireland at the international level, demonstrating the importance and prestige of this competition.
Overall, our Irish Rowing Championships is a celebration of the sport of rowing and the skill, dedication, and hard work of the athletes who compete. It is a must-see event for rowing enthusiasts and sports fans alike, and a testament to the passion and commitment of the Irish rowing community.
We hope to have a very successful event with some new and long standing traditions to the event that will support our clubs and grass roots sport.
We have gathered members from all around the country to support our prestigious event.
Michael R Hughes, the 2023 Championship Chair said, “A four province team has assembled to deliver the 2k Irish Championships for 2023. Advance planning has begun and team member tasks are allocated. We will be seeking support to ensure a safe, fair event and memorable spectacle for our clubs and athletes. Our mantra is ‘the best way to predict the future is to create it’.”
The committee is as follows:
- Michael Hughes – Championship Chair (Connacht)
- David Breen – Regatta Secretary (Munster)
- Desmond O’Hara – Race Secretary (Leinster)
- Brendan O’Dea – Parking and Traffic Management (with Gerry Farrell) (Leinster)
- Donal Cronin – NRC Management (with Alec Moffett) (Munster)
- Michelle McDonagh – Volunteer Manager (Munster)
- Andrew Tubman – Chief Umpire (Ulster)
- Brian Richardson – Production and Commentary (Munster)
- Pat Kiely – Safety Officer (Munster)
- Clara O’Brien – Communications (Munster)
- Jo Aungiers – Water Management (Ulster)
Supportive roles for the event:
- Derek Bowen – Merchandising
- Larry Salonen – Guests and Sponsorship
- Valerie Healy/Lucy Hanrahan – Administrative Support
- Ceara O’Connor – Event Support