These 2-step skewers take only a few minutes to put together. They‘re really versatile and a great way of getting extra vegetables into your diet. Chop the ingredients and let everyone get involved by creating their own skewers.
They taste good grilled, but even better cooked over a BBQ!
The recipe below makes 4 skewers.
- 400g diced pork (2cm pieces)
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- ½ tbsp dried oregano
- 1 lemon, zested and juiced
- ½ tsp paprika
- Pinch of salt
- 2 red peppers, deseeded and cut into chunks
- 4 skewers
- Put the pork in a large bowl with the oil, oregano, lemon zest and juice and paprika as well as a good pinch of salt. Mix everything together and leave it in the fridge to marinate for a minimum of 10 mins; the longer you can leave it to marinate, the better.
- Heat the grill to high. Skewer the marinated pork and the peppers, alternating between the pork and peppers as you go. Grill for 3-4 mins on each side, or until cooked through and golden brown.
They can be used to fill a wrap or flatbread for a quick and tasty lunch, or served with salad, rice, or vegetables as a bigger meal.
This recipe uses pork, but you can try it with lamb, chicken, beef or prawns and whatever fruit and vegetables you have to hand, such as pineapple, courgette, mango, aubergine, onion, and mushrooms. Mozzarella or chunks of bread (dipped into the marinade) are also tasty options.
For dessert, why not try some grilled fruit skewers?
- Banana, melon, pineapple, mango, strawberries, peach, pear, plum…
- Alternate your fruit on the skewers, drizzle with a little honey and grill until golden brown.
- Serve on their own or with a few spoons of natural yogurt.