As part of our Stay Active with Rowing Ireland, we will be providing daily nutritional tips and recipes!
A well-balanced diet with plenty of key micronutrients is important to the normal functioning of our immune system, but no specific food or supplement will prevent you from catching COVID-19.
Todays healthy snack is mini egg muffins!
Perfect for a healthy snack or as part of a meal, really quick and easy to make, and they can be cooked in batches and stored; what’s not to love about these mini egg muffins? They are suitable for the whole family and everyone can have a go at helping to make their own muffins with their own favourite fillings.
Egg Muffin Recipe
Your choice of fillings (around 1 cup)
Pinch of salt and pepper
- Preheat the oven to 180 degrees
- Grease 6 spaces on your muffin tray (or use silicone liners, not paper)
- Crack your eggs into a bowl and whisk with salt, pepper and herbs of your choice.
- Finely chop your chosen fillings and divide equally between the 6 spaces in your muffin tray
- Pour the egg mixture over your fillings
- Cook in the oven for approx. 17 minutes, until they are cooked through and golden brown
Once cooked, let the egg muffins cool for 10 minutes before removing from the tray. They can be eaten straight away or, once fully cooled, they can be stored in the fridge in an airtight container for up to 5 days or frozen for up to 2 months. When you are ready to use them, just pop into the microwave and warm them through.
Cook a few batches of different flavours and you will have the perfect snack anytime. Serve a couple with veg, salad, beans or toast for a quick meal anytime.
Ideas for fillings
You will need around 1 cup of ingredients for 6 egg muffins, but remember, a little will go a looong way; it’s much easier to add more ingredients in than take them out, so start small.
- Spinach, Feta and Pepper
- Cottage cheese, Ham and Spinach
- Mozzarella, Tomato and Chorizo*
- Broccoli and Cheese
- Banana and Berry**
*Chorizo – lightly fry before you add to the egg
**The ratios for banana and berry are a little different – 4 eggs, 2 bananas (mashed) and 1 cup of berries will make around 12 muffins.
Why not share your ideas and photos of your homemade egg muffins!
Email us at email@example.com or tag us @Rowingireland on Twitter, Facebook and Instagram