Congratulations to all athletes who took part in the Rowing Ireland U23 HP trials last weekend (9th & 10th June). It was a highly successful event, with ideal conditions for racing and some very impressive performances on the water at the National Rowing Centre.
All invited athletes worked extremely hard throughout the weekend and are to be commended for their honest efforts and excellent attitude on both days. This year, a strong U23 team will be put together, including heavyweight crews which was not the case last year.
The Rowing Ireland HP Team wish to thank all athletes, parents, club coaches, voluntary coaches and staff members for their cooperation and support during the weekend.
The following selections have been made following the results of the weekend’s trials.
– David O’ Malley (UCD BC)
– Shane Mulvaney (UCD BC)
– Fintan McCarthy (Skibbereen RC/ UCC RC)
– Jake McCarthy (Skibbereen RC)
– Ronan Byrne (UCC RC)
- A squad of 3 athletes intended for a LW2X include:
– Lydia Heaphy (Skibbereen RC/UCC RC)
– Aoife Casey (Skibbereen RC)
– Margaret Cremen (Lee RC)
- A squad of 5 athletes plus 1 reserve intended for a LM4X include:
– Andrew Goff (UCD BC)
– Niall Beggan (Commercial RC)
– Ryan Ballantine (Portora BC)
– Adam Kennedy (Belfast BC)
– Miles Taylor (QUBBC)
– Hugh Sutton (UCC RC)
These crews will be finalised following further assessment later in June/July.
At the final assessment, it will be also be decided if a W2- will be selected.