We will commence a Level Two coaching course in September and registration is now open. Delivery will be through on-line modules and in person attendance at water and gym-based activities over the course of 6 months.
The entry criteria for Level Two are as follows:
- You will be 19 years of age or older and be currently active in coaching.
- You will be currently registered with Rowing Ireland.
- You will hold a Level One certificate and be coaching for at least two seasons after completion of the Level one course.
- Candidates will be required to sign on to abide by the Rowing Ireland Safety Code and the Code of Ethics/Good Conduct.
- You will have completed Garda Vetting/AccessNI within the last three years and will have attended a Safeguarding course.
- You will be expected to attend selected additional seminars and workshops.
- You will be required to fill in a detailed coaching history to allow us to review your suitability to take this course and we reserve the right to defer applicants if we feel you haven’t yet met our criteria.
Course Contents will include:
|What makes a good coach?||Goal Setting.|
|Coaching Skills.||Communication Skills.|
|Athlete Drop out & Retention.||Fundamental Movement Skills.|
|Long term Athlete Pathway.||Rowing Physiology.|
|The Female Triad.||Elite & Lightweight Rowers.|
|Season & Event Planning.||Sports Psychology.|
|Nutrition for training and competing.||Training principles, requirements of the sport.|
|The R.I. technical model.||Drills and technique development.|
|Rigging theory & practical application.||On the water coaching observed assessments with a L3 or HP coach.|
|Lactate Testing theory & practice.|
S&C is an important element of the Level Two course and will be presented over two days in a suitable gym. This module (and the Level One S&C module which anyone signing up for Level Two must have attended in the last 3 years) will be offered as a standalone module to coaches who wish to gain knowledge in this field, but who cannot sign on for the full course.
Coaches will be required to present on various topics (rigging, technique, training programme development) for group discussion. Coaches are expected to engage in critical analysis of their own and other coaches’ presentations.
Coaches will also be required to keep a coaching log for at least three months and show the application of the course learnings, including being able to show how their coaching philosophy influences their training programme.
You will have to attend a regional development camp with your own athletes or take part in running a provincial development camp. Coaches will be given a development task as part of the camp.
Finally, we will be inviting senior coaches and athletes from the HP environment to share their experiences with you over the course.
This is the third step on the Rowing Ireland ‘Coaching Pathway’ and completion of the course will certify you as a Level 2 Coach in your club. The aim of the course is to give you the expertise to aid and guide athletes up to and including underage and adult national level competition and trialling for the Irish rowing team. This syllabus has been developed using teaching best practices in conjunction with Sport Ireland Coaching. At the end of the course, participants will receive a certificate of completion from Rowing Ireland and Sport Ireland Coaching.
Please note you will need access to a computer/tablet and Internet access to complete your online learning. Once your place is confirmed we will request payment of €550 ( incl. S&C) to book your place on the course.
Register for the course HERE
If you have any questions about these courses please email Gerry at email@example.com