Today we launch an exercise class series, Balance is Better, targeted at our adolescent rowers.
Following the partnership with RowMoJo and our webinar on Retaining Teenage Girls in Sport, we wanted to develop a programme that instilled the right philosophy.
Balance is Better aims to:
- Build on strength, fluidity and control of movement
- Target muscle imbalances
- Help avoid injury by strengthening postural and stability muscles
- Generate correct movement patterns
- Adopt a safe, incremental approach to build up strength using exercise balls and bands from Sport Physio Products Ltd., available from GreenBlades.ie
The programme philosophy is:
- Fun, social approach – online activities and challenges each week
- Appropriate challenge – set your own goals and targets
- Autonomy – give athletes a voice and choice
- Building inner strength for outer confidence
This series will run as 8 online classes – streamed on our YouTube channel, you can incorporate them into your training schedule or enable athletes to do them in their own time.
The classes incorporate exercise balls, loop bands and therabands, which can now be purchased from SportPhysio, though the Green Blades shop. This equipment is recommended, but not essential, as it supports the improvement of balance and strength.
The first class in the series can be delivered to your squad over Zoom, by Exercise and Sport Science Student and Cork BC rower, Chloe Mehigan.
If you are a coach and your club/squad would like to avail of a live and interactive first session, over Zoom, sign up below and we will be in touch to arrange a time.