Rowing Ireland and Athletics Ireland are delighted to announce our upcoming workshop ‘Retaining Girls in Sport’.
This workshop will take place on the 24th of November at 7pm.
This workshop is FREE and registered participants will be sent a Zoom link prior to the workshop.
This workshop has been supported by Sport Ireland and will be delivered by Dr Orlagh Farmer .
Women in Sport Lead , Claire Lambe said
“We are delighted to be delivering this workshop with Athletics Ireland and Dr Orlagh Farmer on ‘Retaining Girls in Sport’. This workshop is aimed at coaches of teenage girls, who face challenges in retaining them as they progress through the age categories. The purpose of this workshop is to increase awareness of the factors that influence young girls participation in sport and assist clubs in creating practical strategies and structures for long term retainment of young girls.”
This workshop will be presented to you by Dr. Orlagh Farmer . Orlagh is a lecturer in sport education in Early Childhood Studies in Dundalk IT. She is also a qualified physical education teacher, and recently was awarded her doctorate in University College Cork. Her PhD research has focused on retaining girls in sport (“Gaelic4Girls” project) and she will provide insights on retainment and inclusivity strategies for our rowing and athletics clubs. Orlagh is a high performer herself and is currently playing for the Cork senior ladies football team since 2010 and has won 6 All Ireland titles.
Aim of workshop
- Assist clubs in creating strategies and structures for long term retainment of young girls in rowing and athletics.
- Create suitable club environments that are dynamic and inclusive of all young girls in sport.
By the end of this workshop, coaches should have the ability to:
- Understand the motivations, values, and barriers that young girls experience in sport.
- Recognise best practices that have been applied from some of our clubs.
- Apply practical solutions and strategies to encourage retainment, and combat dropout.
- Plan and deliver sessions to meet the members motivations.
Registration for this workshop can be done by clicking the following link – RETAINING GIRLS IN SPORT WORKSHOP
For more information, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org or 087 1258 116
Information Poster for the Workshop – Retaining girls in sport workshop (5) (1)