Rowing Ireland has released a new video highlighting the hard work and dedication of their whole team.
The video recognises the hardships that have been brought about by the pandemic and how it touched the lives of so many.
Paying tribute to the last 16 months since the pandemic began. It features Ireland’s top rowing athletes and their return to the water after restrictions eased earlier this year.
Rowing Ireland’s CEO, Michelle Carpenter said, “It’s great to finally return to domestic and International rowing and to have such an exciting time ahead for all our athletes. We’ve all been touched by the pandemic in different ways, and we wanted to mark the progress we’ve made together with the dedication and resilience of all our clubs and athletes.
“While it’s been tough for our rowers, I have no doubt that their preparation will pay off. We have a great team here at Rowing Ireland, not only the athletes but our coaches, clubs, families and support staff too.”
Support our athletes
You can support our athletes this summer and our development athletes with our new Supporter T-shirts. We also have new stock arriving next week. Keep an eye on our website and social media for updates!
Irish Team Competing at the 2020 Tokyo Olympics
The Women’s Single Scull (Sanita Puspure) and Men’s Double Sculls (Ronan Byrne and Phil Doyle) will be the first of the Irish crews competing at the Olympics which takes place in the early hours of Friday morning.
Ireland has six crews competing in Tokyo, the largest Irish rowing team to ever compete.
Full coverage of the Olympic Rowing events will be available on www.rowingireland.ie and through the Rowing Ireland social media channels
Official Selection for Tokyo
Lightweight Men’s Double Scull (LM2x)
- Fintan McCarthy (Skibbereen Rowing Club)
- Paul O’Donovan (UCC Rowing Club/Skibbereen Rowing Club)
- Gary O’Donovan (Skibbereen Rowing Club) – Reserve
Women’s Single (W1x)
- Sanita Pušpure (Old Collegians Boat Club)
Men’s Double Scull (M2x)
- Ronan Byrne (UCC Rowing Club/Shandon Boat Club)
- Philip Doyle (Belfast Boat Club/Queen’s University Belfast Boat Club)
- Daire Lynch (Clonmel Rowing Club) – Reserve
Women’s Four (W4-)
- Emily Hegarty (UCC Rowing Club/Skibbereen Rowing Club)
- Fiona Murtagh (National University of Ireland Boat Club/Galway Rowing Club)
- Eimear Lambe (Old Collegians Boat Club/Commercial Rowing Club)
- Aifric Keogh (UCC Rowing Club/Colaiste Iognaid Rowing Club)
- Tara Hanlon (UCC Rowing Club/Cork Boat Club) – Reserve
Women’s Pair (W2-)
- Monika Dukarska (Killorglin Rowing Club)
- Aileen Crowley (Old Collegians Boat Club/Killorglin Rowing Club)
Lightweight Women’s Double Scull (LW2x)
- Aoife Casey (UCC Rowing Club/Skibbereen Rowing Club)
- Margaret Cremen (UCC Rowing Club/Lee Rowing Club)
- Lydia Heaphy (UCC Rowing Club/Skibbereen Rowing Club) – Reserve
- Antonio Maurogiovanni – High-Performance Director
- Fran Keane (Athlone Boat Club/Pres Rowing Club) – Coach
- Dominic Casey (Skibbereen Rowing Club) – Coach
- Giuseppe DeVita (UCD Boat Club)- Coach
- Ciro Prisco (NUIG Boat Club)- Coach
- Sinead Murphy – Physiotherapist
- Feargal O’Callaghan (Shannon Rowing Club)- Team Manager